Thursday, May 10, 2007

About the DVD “The Secret”

I’ve procrastinated in writing about it, but I’ve clearly known that I need to write about it. Writing helps me connect to the deeper recesses of truth for me, so here goes.

Let me begin by admitting that I actually cried (well, tears welled up in my eyes) a couple of times while watching the DVD. I felt “some truth” being touched within me; and, simultaneously, I sensed what I’ve termed “snake-oil salesmen.”

We create our own reality? I don’t think so . . . at least not in the sense that this DVD portrays. Now, I can see how different identity-structures within our psyche create what might be believed to be reality. It’s not reality though . . . it’s an image of reality seen through the lens of an identity-structure – a limited perspective from our ego/personality.

I do agree to some extent that what we focus our energy on can manifest. What does this really mean? It means that when we’re clear and determined about what we want or need, the potential is there! Actually, potentiality is always there, but it takes recognizing what we want, being clear about it, opening to all the possibilities of attaining it, and taking action to move toward it (whatever “it” is). Another piece that I think is extremely important is being aware of our own capabilities and limitations, which doesn’t need to be a show stopper, by the way.

If, on the other hand, we’re stuck in an identification having to do with some deficiency, i.e., not good enough, smart enough, not worthy, etc., then guess where our energy (thoughts and actions) are focused! Speaking of deficiencies . . . we ALL experience deficient feelings – including these so-called “enlightened ones of The Secret”! Repressing or ignoring them does NOT make them go away. These feelings provide rich soil to dig into and explore. Replacing these “negative feelings” with positive feelings only covers them up. When we do cover up whatever we’re experiencing (because it’s ‘negative’), we are not in touch with Reality and we’re digging a deeper hole for ourselves.

Speaking of hole reminds me of Almaas’ “Theory of Holes” which has to do with deficiencies. Our culture of advertising and consumerism feeds our sense of deficiency; and, this DVD does exactly that! Here’s a short excerpt describing the “Theory of Holes”:

“ . . . the sense that something is lacking, and therefore, something is wrong. When we feel such a deficiency, we try to fill the hole we feel in ourselves. . . we try to fill the hole from the outside.”

The DVD is selling “how to fill your holes from the outside.” This tactic is not as empowering as portrayed. How can you be empowered if you are unconscious as to what’s really going on inside? Why not be curious about a limiting belief and explore how you came to believe it and even challenge it? Inner-exploration is more likely to lead to manifesting what you want, because (1) you’ll have more clarity about what you really want; and, (2) you’ll be more relaxed and open to the possibilities of whatever it is.

No comments: